Deployment

For discussing the vehicles rules....

Deployment

Postby ManaUser » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:39 am

After reading the vehicles supplement, it occurred to me there wasn't much info on how vehicles (those purchased with points) are deployed. (Unless I missed it.) My best guess is that they use the same rules as characters in that scenario (e.g. within 6" of a certain edge, or whatever.)

But this still leaves one important question unanswered: Can to deploy a character IN a vehicle?
Last edited by ManaUser on Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ManaUser

Re: Deployment

Postby Campbell50 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:30 pm

Why not, vehicle won't go anywhere without a driver.

Jim
Campbell50

Postby Pulp Girl » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:59 am

Yes, if you select a vehicle via Resource points then you deploy it as if it was a "character" and if the deployment allows, then you can deploy characters in a the vehicle. In our games, we require the vehicle to be deployed before the characters are placed in it (in scenarios where the order of placement is important).

However - If you roll a random vehicle from the Events Table, it is important to note that you may not deploy characters in this vehicle. This is implied by the order of placement and more clearly prohibited by the "characters may not start on vehicles" rule in the Deploy Leagues paragraph. Dad did this to prevent these free vehicles from being too "powerful".
Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl

mila@pulpalley.com
http://pulpalleycom.ipage.com/store/index.html

"I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."
Pulp Girl
Site Admin

Postby ManaUser » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:15 am

Hmm. So as a general rule, you can deploy characters in a vehicle (other than the free one from Scenario Events) unless the scenario specifically forbids it, or the deployment rules make it impossible somehow. (e.g.the defending leader in Death Trap couldn't start in a vehicle, since he has to deploy before [and in a a different place from] the rest of the league.) Is that about right?
ManaUser

Postby Pulp Girl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:16 am

ManaUser wrote:Hmm. So as a general rule, you can deploy characters in a vehicle (other than the free one from Scenario Events) unless the scenario specifically forbids it, or the deployment rules make it impossible somehow. (e.g.the defending leader in Death Trap couldn't start in a vehicle, since he has to deploy before [and in a a different place from] the rest of the league.) Is that about right?

I'd say that looks right. As always, feel free to use your own best judgement based on the scenario you are playing.
Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl

mila@pulpalley.com

Pulp Girl
Site Admin

Postby salcor » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:18 am

Pulp Girl,

So vehicles are not purchased with crew? So something like a Heavy Tanks would need 5 crew members to operate fully.

Salcor
salcor

Postby Pulp Girl » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:35 am

salcor wrote:Pulp Girl,

So vehicles are not purchased with crew? So something like a Heavy Tanks would need 5 crew members to operate fully.

Correct, when you buy a vehicle (any vehicle) you do not get a free driver/crew. The general assumption here is that when you add a vehicle to your league, you will be manning the vehicle with your league. However, it is also quite easy to add a crew to something like a Heavy Tank....

0-2 Point Option - Remember that you get free "Gunners" when you select a gun. So you automatically get free guys to operate the gun (if you want them). The only thing you have to come up with is a driver, so use one of your guys or come up with an extra Follopwer or Ally.

2 Point Option - I think a 5-man "Gang" could fully operate a tank, inlcuding the guns and driving (but not both in the same activation).

This covers most situation, but if you're doing a special vehicle heavy scenario then its probably best to give both sides 5-10 extra points to specifically buy vehicles and crews. ;)
Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl

mila@pulpalley.com

Pulp Girl
Site Admin

Postby salcor » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:35 am

Thanks for the feedback, I like some of those ideas. Just so I understand, the heavy tank template shows 11 points. So that is 11 gear points to field.

Salcor
salcor

Postby Pulp Girl » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:30 am

salcor wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I like some of those ideas. Just so I understand, the heavy tank template shows 11 points. So that is 11 gear points to field.

Salcor

Yes, that's correct. The heavy tank profile in the book is 11 points. You could probably trim a few modifications off to reduce the cost.
Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl

mila@pulpalley.com

Pulp Girl
Site Admin

Return to Pulp Alley - Vehicles