Guns and crew

For discussing the vehicles rules....

Guns and crew

Postby menelduir » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:15 am

Hi

Quick questions. I tend to be the ref in our games, so to me is passed the task of imparting the wisdom of Solomon!So I need all the help I can get...

One of my friends has purchased a light gun and given it advanced. It now only requires one crew member to operate. When it comes to crewing the gun does he get only one free crew member as that is all that is required to operate the gun or 2-4 as stated in the rules? I said 1, but maybe 2 would have been a better decision.

Also if a gun looses all of its crew, can a gang take over the gun? Would (in the case above) it take one gang member, or because a gang is technically one character, would all gang members be assumed to take over operation of the gun? I allowed one gang member to take over the gun. His gang was already weak, and after loosing this member one more kill would eliminate it.

Finally, if the gun is shot at, or rushed it appears that he can only react with 1d6. He is attempting to create a medium machine gun, a Bren or Browning, and was hoping for more fire power. Rushing a machine gun is not normally a good idea. I am fine with the limitation, but I do understand what he is trying to create.

I think that my rationalization for how guns work when being rushed or shot at would be that the gun allows a burst marker to be placed. That burst stays for the turn and effectively creates a a kill zone. Should someone charge directly through the marker, then they will encounter a random challenge. If they charge from the flank then the gun and crew can offer only limited resistance as their attention was focused in another direction so that is why they have such a low shoot.

He is now toying with death ray, but will find that he will no longer have a beaten area (burst marker), nor will he be able to react other rushing/shooting enemy.
I am correct that for any gun to fire it is a full action and therefore cannot be used as a reaction to being shot at?

Thank you for your time.
BTW we played four games on four table with a total of 5 players and me as ref on the weekend to start Perilous Island, it was a blast! We had played a couple of games prior to that to get a feel for the rules, but are now full into campaign mode. I split the group up so that we played 2 Hidalgo fires at the same time. The first league to get Lady Elaine found the real person, the team on the other table found out that they had been on a wild goose chase.The winners of each of those games went on to the Last flight. and the others went to At deaths door. Kept me hopping between tables but it was great.

But I ramble...
menelduir

Re: Guns and crew

Postby MikeWyant » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:37 pm

I'd like to know this too.
I plan to have a western scenario with an army Wagon with a Gatling in the back.
I know I can say that any character can get in the wagon and operate the gun,
but i'd like to know in case someone wants to play army and start with a gatling.
MikeWyant

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:10 am

menelduir wrote:One of my friends has purchased a light gun and given it advanced. It now only requires one crew member to operate. When it comes to crewing the gun does he get only one free crew member as that is all that is required to operate the gun or 2-4 as stated in the rules? I said 1, but maybe 2 would have been a better decision.

If it is a vehicle mounted gun, then he receives the number of models required to crew the gun. In this case it would be 1.
Otherwise, if it is not mounted in a vehicle, then he can have a free crew of 2 to 4 models.

Also if a gun looses all of its crew, can a gang take over the gun? Would (in the case above) it take one gang member, or because a gang is technically one character, would all gang members be assumed to take over operation of the gun? I allowed one gang member to take over the gun. His gang was already weak, and after loosing this member one more kill would eliminate it.

"A gang on a vehicle or crewing a gun fills a number of spaces equal to the number of models" -- This is an exception to the counts as one model rule. So if a Gang of 5 is crewing a gun or riding a vehicle - then it counts as 5 characters.

Finally, if the gun is shot at, or rushed it appears that he can only react with 1d6. He is attempting to create a medium machine gun, a Bren or Browning, and was hoping for more fire power. Rushing a machine gun is not normally a good idea. I am fine with the limitation, but I do understand what he is trying to create.

First, let me say that Guns in Pulp Alley are not intended to be the queens of the table - because this is an adventure rather than a battlefield. We spent a lot of time trying to make sure they were balanced and fit in without overpowering the game.

I think that my rationalization for how guns work when being rushed or shot at would be that the gun allows a burst marker to be placed. That burst stays for the turn and effectively creates a a kill zone. Should someone charge directly through the marker, then they will encounter a random challenge. If they charge from the flank then the gun and crew can offer only limited resistance as their attention was focused in another direction so that is why they have such a low shoot.

Exactly! I could not have said it better.

Guns and their crews do not react as quickly as a lone character. It "reacts" to an attack by turning its barrel towards the attacker and throwing a burst - on their own activation.
The real trick to using guns effectively is knowing where to place your bursts. But you've got to think ahead of your opponent and figure out what they want to do before they do it.
Yes, running down a street towards a gun that is throwing burst in your path is a bad idea. However, rushing a gun that is unsupported, unprepared, and/or firing in a different direction might just save the day.

He is now toying with death ray, but will find that he will no longer have a beaten area (burst marker), nor will he be able to react other rushing/shooting enemy.
I am correct that for any gun to fire it is a full action and therefore cannot be used as a reaction to being shot at?

100% correct!

Food for thought -- Death Rays and relying on big guns tend to be more of a thing for villains in a pulp setting. We need those guys, so more power to them. Sometime they may even win. But generally, we have been very careful to make sure things stay balanced. :D

BTW we played four games on four table with a total of 5 players and me as ref on the weekend to start Perilous Island, it was a blast! We had played a couple of games prior to that to get a feel for the rules, but are now full into campaign mode. I split the group up so that we played 2 Hidalgo fires at the same time.

Very smart! That is a great way to handle larger groups.

HAVE FUN and let us know if you have other questions.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby menelduir » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:29 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Sadly the player in question is still a bit old school, and has not completely given over to the game philosophy of Pulp Alley.
He seeks that special item that will dominate and crush his enemies! He has even mused about a tank...
However he is starting to see the light.
On the flip side one of the other players cares not a bit about winning, he just wants to have fun, and has built a truly odd team of mostly gangs/mobs. Little chance that he will win, but again not his purpose in playing.
menelduir

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:54 am

Oh yes, tanks can be fun too.

In Pulp Alley, it is really okay to throw those big guns and heavy vehicles on the table and have some fun - because they simply will not dominate the game.

Pulp Alley is an adventure! Players they concentrate on beating the enemy too frequently miss the plot point.

Honestly - Pulp Alley is designed to be a BIG TENT. There's not one way to win/play -- so it is very easy for players with very different play styles to have fun in the same scenario. :D
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Pulp Alley - Vehicles