Light Portable Guns

For discussing the vehicles rules....

Light Portable Guns

Postby salcor » Mon May 30, 2016 4:44 am

Looking back at Pulp Alley for science fiction games, I am considering creating an ability that would replace a characters shooting dice with a portable advanced light gun. Additional gear points may be spent to alter the gun further (like a light portable deathray or a light portable mortor) I was wondering though, the portable modification states "If the minimum number of crew is present, this gun may be moved 3" and then fired as part of the same full round action. However, this gun's firepower is reduced to 4d6." So does that mean that the gun is permanently reduced to 4d6 firepower or is it only 4d6 firepower when it moves and fires? So if the character remains still and uses the FIRE! action, would it be a 5d6 fire?

Also I am thinking that this ability should be a Level 2 ability. In most war movies the heavy gunner is generally a named character not a mook.

Salcor
salcor

Re: Light Portable Guns

Postby Dave » Mon May 30, 2016 3:31 pm

salcor wrote:Looking back at Pulp Alley for science fiction games, I am considering creating an ability that would replace a characters shooting dice with a portable advanced light gun. Additional gear points may be spent to alter the gun further (like a light portable deathray or a light portable mortor) I was wondering though, the portable modification states "If the minimum number of crew is present, this gun may be moved 3" and then fired as part of the same full round action. However, this gun's firepower is reduced to 4d6." So does that mean that the gun is permanently reduced to 4d6 firepower or is it only 4d6 firepower when it moves and fires? So if the character remains still and uses the FIRE! action, would it be a 5d6 fire?

Also I am thinking that this ability should be a Level 2 ability. In most war movies the heavy gunner is generally a named character not a mook.

If you add the Portable mod, then your firepower is reduced to 4d6. Whether you move or not, it's still 4d6.
1. This is meant to reflect my belief that a man-portable gun is simply never going to be as stable/accurate as one that is fixed on a mount.
2. This also a "game-balance" rule, so there is a trade-off for getting the 3" move/fire.

Don't forget, if you decide to use the Tech Setting (Pulp Leagues), then you can pick up a few extra Gear points for each scenario. :D

HAVE FUN
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Pulp Alley - Vehicles