Pulp Alley - Sci-fi

For discussing ideas and suggestions for new plot points and markers....

Re: Pulp Alley - Sci-fi

Postby rags » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Whomever1 wrote: A rushes B around a corner. A starts from further than 3" away, but B cannot see them until A is closer than that--does B get the close range shooting bonus? Also, it seems to me you could make different assumptions about the Stealth ability, which I think is under-used in any games we play.

Yes, because
1) LoS is not required to rush, and
2) The rules on shooting back at someone who rushes say only that he must start from over 3" away. No reference to having LoS for those 3" is made at all...perhaps B hears him coming, or A smells badly, or is flatulent (which is both noisy and malodorous). At least, this is my take.

I'm not sure what assumptions about Stealth you are referring to, but if you think it is under-used, why don't you write a scenario utilizing it?
I think the main problem here is that if you were to do a scenario in which Stealth was an important factor, then all the leagues in it would have to have Stealthy characters, or the scenario would be skewed. IMO, Stealth is there so that you could write such scenarios, as in a "Spy Alley" campaign, where there would either be Stealth on all sides, or some equalizing factor (technology, psychic powers, or what-have-you) that would balance the scenario between the Stealthy and those searching for them. I don't think it's really intended for ordinary, everyday scenarios -- it's there for the unusual, specialized ones.
rags
rags

Postby Whomever1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:39 am

You're neglecting the fact that on a spaceship ambient noise, automatic circuits, wandering maintenance robots, stale recycled air, the deletarious effects of micro-gravity and cosmic radiation, the side-effects of the drugs fending off muscle and bone degeneration, distraction caused by constant direct connection to the shipboard computer via wetware links, the consciousness-sucking boredom of infinite empty space and ones' fear of shooting holes in things on which your life depends might well change rules somewhat. It kind of depends--is the ship being boarded by space pirates that everyone knows about? Or secret stowaways? Or is it a mutiny? Or how about the classic sci-fi trope of the monster gradually gaining strength on-board as it consumes the crewmen? Good times.
Whomever1

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:30 pm

Whomever1 wrote:Here's a hypothetical: Characters A and B are on a ship (Sci Fi or not) with a lot of narrow corridors. A rushes B around a corner. A starts from further than 3" away, but B cannot see them until A is closer than that--does B get the close range shooting bonus? Also, it seems to me you could make different assumptions about the Stealth ability, which I think is under-used in any games we play.

Rags is 100% correct. The situation presented in the example would play as normal. ---

Yes, B could use defensive fire against A.

Yes, B would get a close range bonus. Defensive Fire - "The +1d bonus for close range always applies to defensive fire."

Yes, Stealth is under-used in most scenarios. I think this is because most scenarios are intended to play at a speed that encourages fast movement and action. For me, I rarely think of going into hiding and sneaking around in most scenarios - because I got better things to do. :D

Stealth-oriented scenarios can also be lots of fun, but the pacing is necessarily slower and you'll want to adjust the turn limit to fit the goals.

I have seen players that use Stealth quite a bit and make it work fairly well, but I'd rather run around with gun blazing. :lol:

AND... we have actually been playtesting some new abilities that may appear in the Lemuria campaign. Sshh, don't tell anyone.....

Sneaky (level 1) -- When this character is in hiding, the opponent must win the opposed spotting check by rolling more Cunning successes than your Finesse successes. If the opponent does not win the roll, then this character remains in hiding.

Unseen (level 1, Ally or Follower only) -- This character is never deployed normally. Once per scenario, whenever you have the option to activate a character you may place this character on the table. They must be placed within 6" of your Leader or within the normal deployment area for this scenario. On the turn they are placed, they can not move or perform any actions, but they may attack/fight normally.

HAVE FUN
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Scenario Background