Representing groups of 'bad guys'

For discussing random events, terrain placement, league deployment, and plot points....

Representing groups of 'bad guys'

Postby Sinewgrab » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:10 am

So, I am considering doing a 3 part game at Enfilade in May, where I would have one game for finding clues, one for trying to get to where the clues lead, and lastly, to try and get the MacGuffin.

In game 2, I am thinking to have a boat battle, with a large 'pirate' ship overtaking the smaller vessel that has the major plot point on it, but I don't want to turn it into a mass combat with large numbers of mook pirates if I can avoid it, but I want to have the models on the boats for both looks and to give it the 'movie' feel I want.

How would you try to represent that? Think the boat battle in the Mummy, or the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, where the PCs are moving around, and there is danger, but they are moving towards other PCs without the extras being more than a minor hassle, yet still dangerous.

Ideas?
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."
Sinewgrab

Re: Representing groups of 'bad guys'

Postby pjconnor » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:11 am

I would treat the groups of bad guys as perilous or extremely perilous areas affecting any character than comes within say 1-3 inches of them, depending on how much space there is to move around them. The groups of bad guys could move randomly, perhaps 1D6 inches, to represent the ebb and flow of battle.
pjconnor

Postby Sinewgrab » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Mobile perilous areas? I hadn't thought about that.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."
Sinewgrab

Postby rags » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:49 pm

The wandering extremely perilous area idea is a good one -- we've used that in a couple of games, and it keeps things relatively simple. Alternatively, depending on just how many pirates you have, you could divide them into mobs, treating five minis as one. This reduces of a lot of minis to a very few activations.
reports & galleries: http://ragsthetiger.imgur.com/
rags

Postby Panama » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:42 am

Yep either of the ideas above would work well for what you want to do, don't forget to post an AAR to let us all know how it worked out :)
Panama

Return to Scenario Set Up