Cairo Caper - Too good?

For discussing random events, terrain placement, league deployment, and plot points....

Cairo Caper - Too good?

Postby Zerloon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Hi, here I am again with another question! :D

We just played Cairo Caper, and well, it is an "easy" scenario. I mean, if dice don't hate you too much is pretty simple to achieve victory. And that's good, since I'm playing a Duo league (The Shadow and Daughter) I've got only one chance per plot point, and let me say that every dice roll was a stress to bear!

Since my game was a short one another player that must play it had take the chance and, after some misstep, take the relics.

Now, my question. Since the previous scenarios were all about the Relics, the minor plot point was almost always forgotten, in favor of the major (when possibile). In Cairo Caper you complete all five plot points and take five reward cards. Is'nt it a bit too much, after all Cairo Caper seems to me a "second chance" scenario, but the outcome is, likely, that you came out much better than the previous one... A player suggested that maybe is more convenient lose the relics in the first scenario, focusing on minor plot points, and then play the Cairo Caper. My fellow player end the scenario with +2 gear, +1 contact, +2 backup, +2 Experience and + 8 Reputation... Ok, he IS very lucky, but to me it seem a bit much for a "second chance" scenario...

So, are we missing something?

Maybe the extra points for rewards cards should not be awarded?

P.S.
I know that all bonus are not a big deal, after all are all one shot bonus and even the Rep is a little concern... I'm just saying that, fluffwise, is better if the League have a lesser outcome from a "second chance" scenario.
Or maybe we just miss (again :D ) something :D
Making war for peace is like making love for virginity
Zerloon

Re: Cairo Caper - Too good?

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:33 am

Yes, Caper can be a short and fairly easy scenario if you have a well balanced league - compared to most of the other ToS scenarios. If your league is mainly built for combat, you may have a more difficult time.

I can't say whether you missed anything. But was the opponent getting/playing their Fortune cards every turn? Sometimes that gets missed.

In general, I feel like it is okay for this to be a fairly easy scenario for a few reasons ---
1. You lost your first scenario, so this scenario is intended to get you back on track - without losing too much time.
2. Within the context of the campaign, you are already 1 scenario behind any league that already got their Relic. So - while you are still trying to get a Relic, they are already working on gathering Hyksos clues.
3. Because this is the catch-up scenario, I would prefer to minimize the chance that you will need to play it more than once.

Hmm... Is it better to lose the first scenario so you can rake in the Caper loot? Within the full scope of the campaign, I don't think it is going to be an advantage either way. :D
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Zerloon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:59 pm

I'm not sure to understand what you mean... maybe all player must play the same number of game? If so we completely missed that...

What we did so far:
a first chapter scenario each.
I and another player, that failed the first chapter scenario play the Cairo Caper.
I and another player play a second chapter scenario.

So far I played 3 times, my fellow Caper 2 times, and the other player 2 and 1.

If all player must play the same number of games so I should maybe use the servants and let the others play they're league until we all have played 3 times?
Zerloon

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:52 pm

Zerloon wrote:I'm not sure to understand what you mean... maybe all player must play the same number of game? If so we completely missed that...

What we did so far:
a first chapter scenario each.
I and another player, that failed the first chapter scenario play the Cairo Caper.
I and another player play a second chapter scenario.

So far I played 3 times, my fellow Caper 2 times, and the other player 2 and 1.

If all player must play the same number of games so I should maybe use the servants and let the others play they're league until we all have played 3 times?

No, it is not a "requirement" for all players to play the same number of games. I just don't think that would be realistic based on my own experience with various gaming groups though the years. :D

However, I would encourage players to try to stay close.

As with many things in Pulp Alley, this campaign is basically a race to get to the end and be the one that defeats the big baddie. There's no bigger advantage than playing more scenarios than the other players. If you can collect the items first and reach the tomb first, then you will have the first chance to win the campaign.

HAVE FUN
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Zerloon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:24 am

Ok, we'll try!! Thank you very much!
Zerloon