Proposed scenario idea for a convention

For discussing new scenario ideas and suggestions....

Proposed scenario idea for a convention

Postby RP006 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Hey guys, looking for some feedback which is a very loose idea at this point.

I am planning on running a Pulp Alley game here in the Pacific Northwest in Washington in May for the Enfilade gamin convention (http://www.nhmgscitadel.com/enfilade/).

I am planning on using the exotic locations and the warehouse sets from Salley 4th with a Casablanca theme. Generally for a convention I think the players should be 6-8 players to get people introduced to the rules etc. I am thinking of using 6 players with 3 characters each (1-Sidekick and 2-followers). (3) "good guy teams", and (3) "bad guy teams". Each pair of teams would have their own sets of plot points to go after with the main plot point being either escape from Casablanca or be captured by the "baddies". I am taking inspiration from the Perilous Island book for scenarios.

My question to you was, how easy is it to manage the players and keep the game going. My idea of having each pair focus on a set of two plot points with the final plot point bringing the three pairs together would keep the game going but keep it from being a slaughter house and more of a pulpy adventure with three separate story lines in the same game. The Major plot point would be a Tri-motor plane either the good guys need to get out on, or the bad guys to disable or detain the good guys.

Any Ideas or thoughts? About how long do you think 6 players would take to play three separate storylines? We are allotted 4hrs for a game. Is my idea enough for 4 hrs, or perhaps if we end early, the groups switch sides and play again.

Thank you for the input.

Ron
RP006

Re: Proposed scenario idea for a convention

Postby Whomever1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:05 pm

It could easily be fun, but 6 players who don't know the rules are going to be confused. I imagine you'll want to do a brief tutorial before the game.
Whomever1

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:46 pm

I pretty much draw the line at 6 players max. I've seen/run bigger games but it just isn't as much fun for me. :D

Your basic plan looks solid.

For me, my primary focus during a game like this is simply keeping track of who has the Initiative and politely encouraging them to help direct the game. In many ways, it is important that whoever has the Initiative stays focused on picking who goes next. As long as you keep them on track, the game will run quite smoothly.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby RP006 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Thank you Dave and Whomever1 for the feedback.

I was going to draw the line at 6 players as I know too that more than that is a lot to manage. At the convention, having 4 players was tougher on the sell, or a few buddies want to play together etc.

So here is the idea a bit more developed, and I plan on getting it all written out next week and presented to the convention:

"Escape from Casablanca"

The theme for the convention this year is "invasions". Idea here is things need to happen before the Nazi's take over Casablanca. Game times are 4 hours long, another reason for making this a 6-player game with lots of things going on. GM will place the objectives as they are revealed or needed. GM will also control outside forces such as mobs, and disruptions based upon various perils. Each player would be given their team and their team's objectives, with out the others knowing, but informed on the various plot points available. A marker will be used to indicate who has initiative to keep that moving along.

Basic premise, 6 separate teams, (3) good guys, (3) bad guys. Each pair of teams, in essence will be working on their own plot point, virtually a mini Pulp Alley Game within the larger context of the game. This way, I can have a protagonist and antagonist pair working on the first required plot point. The second plot point (here is where I am working this out), is required before the major plot point, but may have interaction with the other 4 players. The Major plot point determines the winner and wraps up the game.

Teams:
Each team will consist of (1) Sidekick and (2) Allies
Team 1/Pair 1
Good Guys:
Rick Blaine: Sidekick
Ilsa Lund: Ally
Victor Laslo: Ally
Plot Point 1: Find info on Letters of Transit
Plot Point 2: Obtain Letters of Transit
Plot Point 3: Board the Tri-motor and fly to Portugal

Bad Guys:
Captain Louis Renault: Sidekick
French Policeman 1: Ally
French Policeman 2: Ally
Plot Point 1: Arrest Signor Ugarte
Plot Point 2: Obtain Letters of Transit
Plot Point 3: Stop the flight.

First Plot Point: Signor Ugarte - locate letters of transit.
Second Plot Point: obtain Letters of Transit
Major Plot Point: Board the Tri-Motor

Team 2/Pair 2
Good Guys:
Unnamed Smuggler: Sidekick
Unnamed Smuggler: Ally
Unnamed Smuggler: Ally
Plot Point 1: Find contact to transfer weapons being smuggled
Plot Point 2: Obtain Weapons to be Smuggled
Plot Point 3: Board the Tri-motor

Bad Guys:
Major Heinrich Stasser: Sidekick
Nazi Thug 1: Ally
Nazi Thug 2: Ally
Plot Point 1: Find contact with weapons
Plot Point 2: Seize weapons
Plot Point 3: Stop the flight to review the flight list.

First Plot Point: Arab contact with smuggled weapons location.
Second Plot Point: Obtain Smuggled Weapons

Team 3/Pair 3
Good Guys:
Archeologist: Sidekick
Archeologist Assistant: Ally
Archeologist Assistant: Ally
Plot Point 1: Bribe Customs Offical with knowledge of ancient artifact whereabouts
Plot Point 2: Obtain Ancient Artifact
Plot Point 3: Board the Tri-motor

Bad Guys:
Crecent Moon Leader: Sidekick
Crecent Moon Assistant: Ally
Crecent Moon Assistant: Ally
Plot Point 1: Intercept Custom Official
Plot Point 2: Keep Ancient Artifact hidden
Plot Point 3: Stop the the flight.

First Plot Point: Customs Official has knowledge of an ancient artifact in a warhouse
Second Plot Point: Obtain Ancient Artifact

With the three groups I am trying to keep the flow going. Each team could attempt to cooperate with one another as needed. The Nazis, for example, have an issue with smuggled weapons, people trying to escape, and want ancient artifacts. Rick was a gun runner in Ethiopia and may still have ties, obtaining an artifact may give him money to leave Casablanca, etc.

I think the harder part of this is to come up with reasons other teams may need to go after a different plot point (story line). I think in all cases, plot points can always be taken from another team.
RP006

Postby Dave » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:32 am

Good stuff.

With 6 players I try very hard to keep things fairly straightforward. I think you are on the right track!
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com

Dave
Site Admin

Postby stephen893 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:52 pm

It's a good idea, but be prepared for the players to derail the scenario.
I've been running PA games at cons for the past few years and some of them have turned into slugfests, with the "mission" entirely abandoned.
stephen893

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:35 pm

stephen893 wrote:It's a good idea, but be prepared for the players to derail the scenario.
I've been running PA games at cons for the past few years and some of them have turned into slugfests, with the "mission" entirely abandoned.

Oh yes! Sometimes players love to ignore the plot points and go at it. And you just have to have fun and roll with the punches! :lol:
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com

Dave
Site Admin

Postby RP006 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:22 pm

stephen893 wrote:It's a good idea, but be prepared for the players to derail the scenario.

Thanks for the input. I am preparing for this. I personally like the storyline, hence why I want to do this game to promote the rules set. I was building character traits last night for the characters, trying to keep them pretty even, but with giving them abilities that make them unique to the character too. I know it is probably ambitious with 6 players, a convention, etc, but a friend is going to help track the flow and be an aid.

As GM, keeping the flow, and pushing the storyline is my focus. As an incentive, I was thinking of having a prize for the Major Plot winning, and maybe a second for someone with more than one minor plot points. Appeal to peoples sense of competition and "winning"....

I will post the character stats, once completed, hopefully this next week.

Thanks again guys
RP006

Return to New Scenarios