Halloween game 2017

For discussing your games and sharing photos....

Halloween game 2017

Postby BrianH » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:47 am

Here is the AAR for a Halloween game I ran in late October.
https://lordofwesternkeep.blogspot.ca/2 ... .html#more
BrianH

Re: Halloween game 2017

Postby Whomever1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:44 am

Looks like a fun scenario--had all the players played a PA game before? I have to ask, though--do you think it's worthwhile to pick up a bystander? I've seldom been convinced, unless they are on the way towards the plot points. It takes a minimum of two turns for a character to reach and then take a bystander, and unless that character has multiple action dice (in which case--don't they have something better to do?) they have a good chance of failing and a small chance of having to get involved in a combat. And if the character succeeds, the league gains a random follower that can act on turn 3 or 4, but will probably be pretty far away from the main action. I suppose bystander placement is an issue I hadn't given much thought to.
I read the bystander rules in Vice Alley just now, and noticed they said that a bystander could sometimes be a plot point--I'd like to see an example of that. The one scenario where I tried to do something like that led to me getting a verbal beat-down from the players I inflicted it on.
Er--um,-sorry. As I said, it looked like a fun scenario.
Whomever1

Postby Panama » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:56 pm

I left a comment on your blog as I really enjoyed what I seen :)
Panama

Postby BrianH » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:57 am

Whomever1 wrote:Looks like a fun scenario--had all the players played a PA game before? I have to ask, though--do you think it's worthwhile to pick up a bystander? I've seldom been convinced, unless they are on the way towards the plot points. It takes a minimum of two turns for a character to reach and then take a bystander, and unless that character has multiple action dice (in which case--don't they have something better to do?) they have a good chance of failing and a small chance of having to get involved in a combat. And if the character succeeds, the league gains a random follower that can act on turn 3 or 4, but will probably be pretty far away from the main action. I suppose bystander placement is an issue I hadn't given much thought to.
I read the bystander rules in Vice Alley just now, and noticed they said that a bystander could sometimes be a plot point--I'd like to see an example of that. The one scenario where I tried to do something like that led to me getting a verbal beat-down from the players I inflicted it on.
Er--um,-sorry. As I said, it looked like a fun scenario.

Thanks for the comment. Yes all the players had played at least one or two games before. I agree bystanders can sometimes not be worth he the effort, in the revised version of this scenario they will be more important as they will be guarding the plot points. I added a bit more about this to my comments on the blog.
BrianH

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:10 pm

THANKS for posting! :D

One of the changes we have been testing for 2nd Edition is making Bystanders level 2 Allies. Just a little adjustment, but it maybe help a little.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Scenario AAR