FREE PASS Challenge?

For discussing the Fortune cards....

FREE PASS Challenge?

Postby piper909 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:58 am

One of the newer cards, "Hold-Up"/Challenge: Free Pass" came up for the first time today for me at a convention game and I want to clarify the intent of the FREE PASS portion -- can a player play this "peril" as a Free Pass for HIMSELF to a peril card played on him? Or can he only play it on behalf of ANOTHER player who faces a peril? Or can he play it at all in response to a peril played by another player? Is the Free Pass portion of this card intended to only apply toward a randomly drawn peril/challenge, effective against the player it was drawn against?

My interpretation (which was at least consistent, both times this occurred) was that the Challenge was not a card effect that could be played in response to another card or an encountered peril; this was only applicable as a randomly drawn Challenge, such as might be encountered at a plot point. But I'd rather know the designer's intent. Thanks!
"Brains beat brawn but baloney baffles brains."
"She looked like a million and stole ten times as much."
piper909

Re: FREE PASS Challenge?

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:22 pm

piper909 wrote:One of the newer cards, "Hold-Up"/Challenge: Free Pass" came up for the first time today for me at a convention game and I want to clarify the intent of the FREE PASS portion -- can a player play this "peril" as a Free Pass for HIMSELF to a peril card played on him? Or can he only play it on behalf of ANOTHER player who faces a peril? Or can he play it at all in response to a peril played by another player? Is the Free Pass portion of this card intended to only apply toward a randomly drawn peril/challenge, effective against the player it was drawn against?

My interpretation (which was at least consistent, both times this occurred) was that the Challenge was not a card effect that could be played in response to another card or an encountered peril; this was only applicable as a randomly drawn Challenge, such as might be encountered at a plot point. But I'd rather know the designer's intent. Thanks!

Good questions.

Please note, there are no special rules for how this card is used. The intention is that it is played exactly when and how any other challenge would normally be played.

To clarify, with regards to FREE PASS (and any other challenge card) ---

No, players can not play perils/challenges on themselves - unless they have an effect or ability which would allow this.

Yes, it can pop up randomly for plot points, determining X values, encountering bystanders, random peril, and so on. This is by far the most common usage.

Yes, it could be played directly from your hand on an "opponent", as normal. But I've only seen that happen once. :lol:

I hope that helps.

HAVE FUN
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Re: FREE PASS Challenge?

Postby piper909 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Excellent! Thank you, this is how I'll interpret this. I will not be surprised to see this card come up again today and tomorrow at the upcoming scenarios.

When North Texas RPG Con is over, I will have the opportunity to share some photos and after-action reports of the three games I'm hosting.
"Brains beat brawn but baloney baffles brains."
"She looked like a million and stole ten times as much."
piper909

Return to Pulp Alley - Fortune Deck