Bot Decks and Secret Objectives

For discussing the Fortune cards....

Bot Decks and Secret Objectives

Postby rags » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Bot Decks:
We recently played a scenario using NPC (Bot) Enemies and the Bot Fortune Card draw rules from the Solo/Co-op handout (AAR tomorrow). I had a spare Fortune deck, so I made up a separate deck for the Bots to draw from, for two reasons. One, because different colored sleeves would make it easier to tell whose cards were whose, and (two) so that I could massage the Bot Deck a little beforehand. As the scenario designer (how grand that sounds), there were a few things I didn't want the Bots to be able to do, like call a Parley or extend the game length. Also, since Bot cards can hang around a while before taking effect, I wanted to eliminate some cards that would likely take a very long time before being activated. Lastly, I wanted to re-balance the deck a little, reducing the number of cards that would be played on enemies (that is, the league characters), who might find it annoying to have cards hanging around their necks, in favor of temporary buffs on the Bot characters, which seemed less objectionable to the players. In the end, I took 18 cards out of the standard deck, and replaced them with 2 Blast Its and 2 each of the following cards of my own design, intended for use by Bots. The final result was a deck with 16 cards that target enemies, and 29 which buff the Bot forces. Note that the cards have their own expansion icon, which denotes the Iron Empires campaign in which they are being used. Photoshop is fun.

Secret Objectives:
The scenario also featured Minor Plot Points which were secret, and brought into play with Objective Cards. During set-up, a dozen potential minor plot points were scattered around the table, with a card for each one. Each league received one randomly drawn Objective card with their Fortune Cards at the start of Turn One, and could buy up to one additional card with a Tip or Contact point. During the game, another card could be drawn whenever the league completed a minor plot point it already had. These secret objectives were unknown to anyone else until the first attempt was made to complete them, at which point they became common knowledge:

The notation "Driver Transaction" on one card means that, once the plot point has been "delivered", the driver may be negotiated with to obtain use of his vehicle. There were several NPCs on the table with whom League characters could transact business. More details on this in the upcoming AAR.
Thanks for your interest,
rags
(edited for clarity)
action reports & photo galleries: http://ragsthetiger.imgur.com/
rags

Re: Bot Decks and Secret Objectives

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:29 pm

Very cool! Some great ideas.

FYI -- We are very close to wrapping up playtesting on our updated Solo-Rules - which includes it's own Solo Deck. :D

In our new solo rules, the player and the Bots both use the Solo Deck cards - and the normal Fortune Deck is not used. Although most of the game mechanics play just like normal Pulp Alley, the main differences are Initiative and Cards.

More to come..........
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby CaptainRum » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:56 pm

I am intrigued now!
My son and I tend to play co-op style games against an A.I. opponent so this would be perfect for us.
I'm always on the lookout for workable solutions to the whole A.I. control.
And, the secret objectives idea is great.

FYI -- We are very close to wrapping up playtesting on our updated Solo-Rules - which includes it's own Solo Deck. :D

Expanded solo rules with a solo deck? !!!
Any estimate on their release, Dave?
CaptainRum

Postby Dave » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:32 pm

CaptainRum wrote:I am intrigued now!
.... Expanded solo rules with a solo deck? !!!
Any estimate on their release, Dave?

Nah, I am not professional enough to know such things. We simply playtest this stuff until I feel like it is ready.

We are also working on a new Horror Deck. The Horror Deck is an optional deck that is only intended to be played in the horror genre/setting and has a bunch of crazy psychological effects.

I think this must be the 4th or 5th version of the Horror rules, but I feel like we've finally nailed it. :D

If I had to guess, I'd say we're still a couple months away from releasing these two decks.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Pvi99th » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:07 pm

The solo rules / deck sound great! I would love to have that option.
Pvi99th

Return to Pulp Alley - Fortune Deck