New Fortune Cards

For discussing the Fortune cards....

Re: New Fortune Cards

Postby religon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:39 pm

I played yesterday evening in a head-to-head game with the new cards. We made it through about 60% of the deck. Only one of the new cards was played as a Fortune effect, 'Bum Rush.' It worked well. I have had my version of this card in my deck for a number of previous games and I like it a lot. My version was +3" walk/move and +2" run.

I think the deck benefits from more 'Disorient' cards than 1. I had 3 such cards in the game yesterday. One use took away the Reanimated Ability from an opponent to soften the enemy prior to a rush. The opponent was quickly ko'ed and dropped the plot point.
religon

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Cool! THANKS for trying the new cards.

I'm a strong believer in playtesting, so we'll take a couple months to see how these work and adjusting them.

That'll give us a better chance of thinning it down to 10 based on actual game-play.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby religon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm a strong believer in playtesting.

As I thought so, I shared.

One thing that did not work very well in the game was the 'Resourceful' ability. Tarzan used it twice and could have used it a third time to traipse through challenges. It proved too useful. Resourceful and Fast Thinking are now banned in my games.
religon

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:53 pm

religon wrote:
I'm a strong believer in playtesting.

As I thought so, I shared.

One thing that did not work very well in the game was the 'Resourceful' ability. Tarzan used it twice and could have used it a third time to traipse through challenges. It proved too useful. Resourceful and Fast Thinking are now banned in my games.

Yikes, banned before they are even release. Tha's pretty bad. :lol: :lol:

I'll assume he was using his Brawl? How many dice was he throwing?

So maybe that's an effect that would work better as a Fortune Card, rather than something that's used over and over?

THANKS for the feedback. THAT'S what playtesting is for! :D
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com

Dave
Site Admin

Postby religon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:02 pm

I'll assume he was using his Brawl? How many dice was he throwing?

4d10 Brawl. He had a 5d10 Dodge, but chose not to use it as it did not seem sporting. (Animal league Perk plus Agile.)

So maybe that's an effect that would work better as a Fortune Card, rather than something that's used over and over?

And how!
religon

Postby Peabody » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:32 pm

Reposting this from the 'Yahoo', 'cause Yahoo seems a bit dead atm... And besides, there is some small amount of new data to add. ;)

Ok, so we have been getting in some good games with the New Fortune Cards. A 2-player game and a 3-player game with the full set of New Fortune Cards played by two experienced players and a recent convert.

In both games we used the Advanced Vehicle Rules. Also in the 3-player game we used the ALARM Story Icon to drive the random movement of patrolling Perils. So the distribution of icons was a factor in our play-test.

In both cases we managed to get significant play out of the new cards, especially in the 3-player game where only one of the new cards failed to get drawn into someone's hand. Following the day's gaming, we had a lengthy review of the new cards and each player was asked to eliminate 6 cards from the new selection and give reasons for their picks. It wasn't easy. These are all great cards, or could be with small tweaks. I don't know how you are going to cut this batch down to just ten!

Here, from 'worst' to 'best', are the six that we agreed we could manage to play without:

1. Wrong Place. While we found this card very humorous (it got played in two games), we agreed it has great potential to force a seventh turn or simply deny a play for a Plot Point and change a game with one card. Red Herrings already provide a similar effect but they do it better as the potential is known up front and the risk is shared between all players.

2. Give or Take. We felt that the effect was just too subtle. The Challenge portion is a 2-success w/ one skill, so harder than usual and that makes the card tempting to hold on to.

3. Fightin' Dirty. Again, a subtle effect for a card with such a great name.

4. Switcheroo. Is this a card you would hold in your hand, or simply cycle through and only use the effect occasionally? The Challenge portion could be more dramatic to make it more of a 'holder'... If this card makes it into the final selection, it was suggested to add "immediately" to the wording to make the timing of play as clear as possible.

5. On a Roll. Potentially a great card, but we didn't manage to use its effect. At this point we are eliminating cards to get six candidates, this was a hard choice. I bet it will prove popular in play-testing.

6. Shenanigans. What a great name! Like 'On a Roll', this ended up on our discard pile only because there were so many other great cards. An improved Challenge would make this a keeper for sure.

We have since played a third game with the reduced card-set, just for contrast. A great game with some fun twists and turns introduced by the new cards, but nothing over-powered (or under-powered for that matter). During six turns playing a 'Death Trap' scenario, we managed to get through two-thirds of the deck. Neither League was built for deck-control so this seemed about right.
Peabody

Postby RichJ » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:11 am

Been playing with the two interrupt cards - while hold up didn't seem to fit in name wise both cards are a very welcome addition to the deck and were used at times when it has added both narrative, humour and tension to the game. Can't imagine going back to playing wihout them to be honest.

Rich J
RichJ

Postby religon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:15 pm

While I have yet to see these cards in actual play, my thoughts on 5 of the 6 cards Peabody speak too was the same.

I did not have initial concerns with Wrong Place, but I can see how it would be a dirty game changer requiring no tactical skill to utilize. I don't like delays. Perhaps if Wrong Place had to be played at the start of a turn. Perhaps also with a slightly tougher challenge like "2 successes on an Action skill." If held late into the game, there is still only say a 33% chance it would then impact the last plot point attempted. It could always be played as a strong challenge.

I did notice the average successes was a bit higher in the 15 beta card than the standard deck...raising the X value slightly. I personally like the "2 successes on an Action skill" challenges.
religon

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 pm

religon wrote:While I have yet to see these cards in actual play, my thoughts on 5 of the 6 cards Peabody speak too was the same.

I did not have initial concerns with Wrong Place, but I can see how it would be a dirty game changer requiring no tactical skill to utilize. I don't like delays. Perhaps if Wrong Place had to be played at the start of a turn. Perhaps also with a slightly tougher challenge like "2 successes on an Action skill." If held late into the game, there is still only say a 33% chance it would then impact the last plot point attempted. It could always be played as a strong challenge.

I did notice the average successes was a bit higher in the 15 beta card than the standard deck...raising the X value slightly. I personally like the "2 successes on an Action skill" challenges.

I should have mentioned that the Challenges on those cards were really just meant as place-holders. Once we decide on the 10 Fortune effects, I'll have to go back and re-balance the Challenges.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com

Dave
Site Admin

Postby religon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:28 pm

[T]he Challenges on those cards were really just meant as place-holders.

Good to know. While tweaking some of my own custom cards, it seems those cards that work best late in the game should have a tough challenge. Having a tempting challenge on those cards prevents a flurry of held cards in turns 5 and 6.
religon

PreviousNext

Return to Pulp Alley - Fortune Deck