Fillable League Roster (MS Excel 2010)

For discussing rules relating to characters, perks, abilities, and rosters....

Re: Fillable League Roster (MS Excel 2010)

Postby Panama » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:43 pm

Right I see, well then thanks for keeping it up to date Dangerboy :D as for the line that's giving the trouble it's 14, when you click for the abilities all that comes up is an o.
Panama

Postby Dangerboy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Ok, I ran a quick set of tests and rewrote the cell formula, just in case. For the sake of simplicity I updated the last link, the latest version should be 1.42.

Have a go at it. If the problem persists, it may be a different issue and I'll have another look at it.
Dangerboy

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:38 am

Nice work! THANKS for the update. :D
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby piper909 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:29 am

Can this document be converted to an interactive PDF file? I don't know if I have a compatible version of Exel on my computer and I was always TERRIBLE with Exel on the few occasions I was compelled to work with it in the office, and I've already forgotten everything I once might have known anyway.
"Brains beat brawn but baloney baffles brains."
"She looked like a million and stole ten times as much."
piper909

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:12 am

Sorry, I have no clue how to convert something like this to PDF, but it really is quite simple to use (if you have Excel). Just click in the box and select want to want from the dropdown menu. And when you pick an ability name, the summary auto-pops in for you. I think this is the best option we have at the moment.

It would definitely be cool if it could be converted to a PDF. I'll see if that is something Mila knows how to do.

Anyhoo, we have pretty much switched over to using Character Cards. I just find it so much easier to put together leagues by quickly picking pre-made cards. But I know players also like doing the rosters. What ever works best for you! :D
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com

Dave
Site Admin

Postby piper909 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 pm

OK, thanks for the input! I do have Excel, so I'll give it a whirl.

I'd like to use pre-printed cards, but I find I'm always tweaking different league combos, different character traits, different characters entirely -- even if I were to make my own cards, I'd find a lot of them only useful one time. I can't see reusing the same characters over and over again, and I like to create my own leagues/characters and not pre-generated ones, no matter how time saving. Most of the games I'm able to run are one-offs, not campaigns, so continuity isn't a problem or concern.

Maybe I should double-check in the PA Store, but aren't these cards pre-printed with all the information and abilities, so the player is stuck with them, no customizing, and then you need to find a figure that's suitable? Or are there blank cards available you can fill in? Erasable? Blank cards would be handy for me, but only if they are cheap enough to not mind going through a few dozen each game. But if I'm filling in a card, why not just fill in a roster sheet? I'm a bit stymied between my desire to create leagues and characters to match my figures and still allow for a lot of variety and balance this with the need to not spend so much time on the preliminary paperwork.
piper909

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:34 pm

That makes sense. If you aren't going to re-use the cards then it probably would not be much of a help.

Our pre-made cards represent some of our favorite character designs, so they are the sort of characters that we will use over and over again. I find the pre-made Followers and Allies very helpful.

Yes, we do have blank cards too . I think all of the card packs come with 1-3 extra blank cards, and there's the "Roster Pack" that is all blanks.

Oh, and these cards do not include pictures of the characters. So a Fierce Ally can be just about any figure you want it to be.

Anyhoo, I think the cards work best if you are re-using the same characters frequently. :D
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com

Dave
Site Admin

Postby piper909 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:30 am

Thanks for the additional info and details. I believe that the Roster pack of cards could indeed be a viable option for my games, which tend to be one-off's and not true campaigns, but I DO frequently re-use characters and sometimes entire leagues (to save time in the set up), and I can certainly see how having a large pack of cards with everything already set out -- and perhaps a small scanned picture of a mini glued on as a helpful identifier? -- could make a very positive contribution. I'll look into an order and give it a try!
piper909

Postby RI_Gamer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:39 pm

If anyone is interested, and Dave approves, I have created a Publisher merge document to create character cards. It uses an excel sheet as the data source and allows pictures of the character.
RI_Gamer

Postby Midnight » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 pm

RI_Gamer wrote:If anyone is interested, and Dave approves, I have created a Publisher merge document to create character cards. It uses an excel sheet as the data source and allows pictures of the character.

Very interested...just don't know if I have or would buy the software...and take the time to learn it.

But I definitely wish I WOULD take the time to learn more of these options.
Midnight

PreviousNext

Return to Pulp Alley - Leagues & Characters