Recruits in Lees Summit, MO

Are you hosting/wanting a Pulp Alley game at an upcoming convention?

Recruits in Lees Summit, MO

Postby cgerardy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:38 pm

I will be hosting a Pulp Alley game at a convention for the first time- at Recruits on August 25th. Anyone that's in the Kansas City area that weekend, come on out. I'm excited because Recruits is where I learned about Pulp Alley in the first place. I even got to meet David Phipps and buy the ruleset from him through Jaye Wiley. Anyway, thanks Dave for the inspiration. Any tips you have for running a large game would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully I'll see some of you there.
cgerardy

Re: Recruits in Lees Summit, MO

Postby Dave » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:59 pm

cgerardy wrote:I will be hosting a Pulp Alley game at a convention for the first time- at Recruits on August 25th. Anyone that's in the Kansas City area that weekend, come on out. I'm excited because Recruits is where I learned about Pulp Alley in the first place. I even got to meet David Phipps and buy the ruleset from him through Jaye Wiley. Anyway, thanks Dave for the inspiration. Any tips you have for running a large game would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully I'll see some of you there.

That's awesome!

Well, for large groups I have a few suggestions ---

1. Keep it scenario simple. Avoid adding in too many special rules that may just complicate, confuse, and slow down the action.

2. Focus on Initiative. It will really help to keep things on track if you are constantly keeping track of who has the Initiative and (gently) encouraging them to help direct the game.

3. Have fun! Don't worry if the players decide to ignore the plot points and just fight each other. It's all about having fun. :D

Optionally, and depending on what you are comfortable with ---

1. Reduce each league to one Leader, one Sidekick, and one Ally.

2. Change Initiative to make a single player activate all their characters, instead of just one character.

HAVE FUN
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Midnight » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:35 pm

I was a Wizkids Envoy for a few years and ran hundreds of games of Heroclix, Horrorclix, and Actionclix at a few different game stores in the area, but a few years ago at Recruits was the first and only time I ran demos at a convention setting. I ran three days of demos for my friends at Game Café LLC of All Quiet on the Martian Front.

I'll admit, despite my experience running tournaments, I was NOT prepared for the event, despite the weeks of prep I'd tried to squeeze in. I'm no expert, but I'll offer some suggestions based on my own experiences.

1. My number one word of caution, and it might seem silly, but wear comfortable footwear!

I was on my feet all afternoon/evening Friday, all day/evening Saturday, and all day Sunday over five events. I made the mistake of wearing my cowboy boots. Sunday, I was in agony.

2. Decide on numbers of players you can handle...maybe plan for games on the large side of those numbers.

In my case, I had a misunderstanding with my friend and owner of the game store I was helping out. I thought I was just helping him by running some demos and that he was going to be running full games. Turns out, he'd planned for me to run all of the All Quiet on the Martian Front events. I was NOT prepared for that Friday night. Where I'd planned for two players to square off against each other while I played instructor...I ended up having EIGHT players...and that was the case for everyone of those five games! Thankfully I'd brought overly large forces so people could see a variety and was able to split them up between all the players. Friday night I re-evaluated the situation and corrected my plans. Saturday and Sunday's events ran more smoothly. In the end everyone seemed to have fun, so that's the point, even though I was still a bit self-conscious of my performance.

3. Rules Summary Cheat Sheets - having these for every player is a great benefit. Don't bog it down with too much detail, but enough that they can follow the progression of a round and have accesses to the most important rules.

4. Try to have all the needed materials for each player. If you can reduce the need for sharing materials to as little as possible, it will save you time. Multiple sets of dice, rulers, templates (as needed), condition/activated tokens, etc. could really help keep things moving.

5. You are already doing another important step...playing the game. I was so focused on getting minis (mostly) ready and player aids and supplies together, that I forgot an important step...playing the game myself! I was VERY rusty on the rules when I ran the first demo. But I stayed up most of the night Friday brushing up and Saturday and Sunday went much better on my part.

6. For promotional sakes, have as many examples of what you can purchase for Pulp Alley as possible (books, cards, accessories, etc.). If folks like the game, show them where they can go to get it for themselves...maybe some flyers with the Pulp Alley website address and a list of products available...as well as the WargameVault address for the free download of the rules and fortune deck.

7. If it were me...I would HIGHLY stress the freedom to use nearly any minis that this game allows. There are a lot of gamers, like me, that have been kept at the window looking in at all of these amazing miniatures games because we just don't have the time/desire to paint miniatures. Some of us would love nothing more than being able to grab the game, a handful of miniatures that we might already own, and start playing. I'd promote the hell out of that aspect. You can use plastic army/western men if you want. You can buy piles of cheap Heroclix/Horrorclix/Actionclix/D&D/Pathfinder/Star Wars/etc. prepainted minis at your local game stores (singles bins) or on Ebay. You can cannibalize other board and minis games for your Pulp Alley needs. Need a steampunk construct? Good thing I have so many Warmachine Warjacks! Need an Undead League? Good thing I've built such a collection of prepainted D&D/Pathfinder undead armies for roleplaying ventures.

There was a League Creation Demo idea I'd always had, but have yet been able to put into action. I wanted to grab a few random boosters of a thematic, prepainted minis set, crack them open with the other folks at the demo, do draft for folks to pick the minis they want to build a theme around, and then show them how to fit those minis into a league. We'd probably end up with some oddball leagues, but the exercise should show how they can incorporate anything they may want to build a league with.

Anyway...those are the two cents (more than you probably want or need) that I have to offer.

I might get to get away from my desk long enough to enjoy a bit of Recruits. A friend of mine is really pushing for me to go. If I make it, I'll look for you. But either way, good luck! I'm sure it will go splendidly!

:D
Midnight

Postby cgerardy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks for the great advice. I am going to reduce the league's to 3: leader, sidekick and ally. My two practice games have turned into slugfests with too many characters. Simple is definitely best in this case. Hopefully I'll see both of you in a couple of weeks!
cgerardy

Postby Midnight » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:28 am

I'm trying to get Friday the 25th off of work to make Recruits. When you nail down a time for your game and when you might be there for a meet and greet, let us know.

:D
Midnight

Postby Dave » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:16 pm

We're planning to drive up there on Saturday, so may arrive around 3pm or so.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Midnight » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:51 am

Dave wrote:We're planning to drive up there on Saturday, so may arrive around 3pm or so.

Here's the info...including special guest details:

http://recruitsconvention.com/
Midnight

Postby cgerardy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:18 pm

My game is during the 2nd Session- Friday evening from 8:00 on. I'll be setting up after 6:00.
cgerardy

Postby Midnight » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:10 pm

cgerardy wrote:My game is during the 2nd Session- Friday evening from 8:00 on. I'll be setting up after 6:00.

Sadly, it's looking more and more like I won't be able to make Recruits this year.

:(

But I wish you the best of luck and fun in your game(s)!
Midnight

Postby cgerardy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Thank you. Maybe next year!
cgerardy

Next

Return to Conventions Calendar