Vagabond's Leagues & Characters

For discussing characters and league designs....

Vagabond's Leagues & Characters

Postby Vagabond » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:50 pm

Miniatures all painted, gaming table almost done, so it's time for designing leagues and characters.
Here goes:

League: Fortune & Glory
Perk: Company of Heroes

Leader: Iowa Ford
Brawl: 3d8
Shoot: 2d10
Dodge: 3d10
Might: 2d8
Finesse: 3d10
Cunning: 3d10
Lucky Devil, Hardened Veteran, Quick-Shot

Sidekick: Marrien Crowforest
Brawl: 2d6
Shoot: 2d6
Dodge: 3d8
Might: 2d6
Finesse:3d8
Cunning: 3d8
Stealthy, Finagler

Sidekick: Abdhul
Finesse: 2d6
Cunning: 3d6
Deductive, Quick-Strike

So, what do you think?
Reading the rules and watching the videos on YouTube I am somehow convinced that Dodge is universal and thus very important skill.
But is it necessary to have high Dodge in combination with Hardened Veteran? And how good Stealthy ability is in practice?
Last edited by Vagabond on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vagabond

Re: Vagabond's Leagues & Characters

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:39 pm

Dodge is definitely an important ability, but I try not to rely on it too much. Sure, it can really help you out of a tight spot, but it is tough to get much "accomplished" with Dodge.

Note -- "Hardened Veteran" was officially divided in to two different abilities with the release of Pulp Leagues.
> Veteran: lets you ignore the penalty when shooting.
> Moxie: lets you ignore the penalty when brawling.

Anyhoo, it's always a bit of a balancing act when picking your abilities. There are always going to be strengths and weakness with any character - that's how the game is designed.

We use Stealth in about 1 out of 10 games. In general, Pulp Alley tends to be more about fast-paced action and adventure, rather than sneaking around. Normally, the only characters that will have any success using Stealth are the ones that are built specifically to sneak around.

I usually save Stealth for special scenarios or settings such as our Spy-Fi Secret Agent games and that sort of thing.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Vagabond » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Thank you Dave for your explanation! I made changes, some cosmetic, some mechanic, so here goes:

League: Fortune & Glory
Perk: Company of Heroes

Leader: Iowa Smith
Shoot: 2d10
Dodge: 3d10
Finesse: 3d10
Cunning: 3d10
Lucky Devil, Hardened Veteran, Quick-Shot

Sidekick: Marian Crowforest
Brawl: 2d6
Might: 2d6
Finesse:3d8
Cunning: 3d8
Shrewd, Finagler

Sidekick: Abdul
Dodge: 3d6
Might: 3d8
Finesse: 2d6
Cunning: 2d8
Brute, Quick-Strike

Two more leagues to come.
Vagabond

Postby Midnight » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Looks like the Fortune & Glory league is a little light...you still have a couple of Roster Slots available by my count.

You get 10 slots to spend for your "standard" league.

You spent 2 on the Company of Heroes perk, 3 for your first Sidekick and 3 for your second Sidekick...that's only 8 spent. So you still have 2 more slots available for perks, an Ally, Followers, or a Gang.

Unless I'm missing something that is.

But looking good. I like to try to have a well rounded league on skills, because you never know when the game will rely on a Might/Finesse/Cunning roll and if all my folks are combat monkeys, I'm screwed.

:D
Midnight

Postby Vagabond » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:34 pm

Yes, you are absolutely right! I do have 2 more slots. I think I will add one more perk, mostly because I do not have an appropriate miniature yet.
Btw, do you guys know is there any miniature good for representing Jock Lindsey, he's a pilot from Raiders who has pet snake Reggie? I went through Pulp Figures, Artizan Design and Copplestone Castings and could not find it...
Vagabond

Postby Midnight » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Vagabond wrote:Yes, you are absolutely right! I do have 2 more slots. I think I will add one more perk, mostly because I do not have an appropriate miniature yet.
Btw, do you guys know is there any miniature good for representing Jock Lindsey, he's a pilot from Raiders who has pet snake Reggie? I went through Pulp Figures, Artizan Design and Copplestone Castings and could not find it...

Afraid I'm no help on the mini search...I'm always looking for prepainted minis and don't spend a lot of time in the unpainted sites.

But I do have a couple of suggestions for your last two slots that thematically fit your league:

If you go the perk route...you could spend 2 on Network of Supporters to represent those other Contacts like Jock/Reggie, Dr. Marcus Brody, and any number of Indi...err Iowa's acquaintances.

You could also go the Associates route (1 slot per Associate and no miniatures needed) to represent some of those behind the scenes characters helping Iowa out. (Page 18 of the Leagues book.)

Just some thoughts. Good luck!
Midnight

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Hmm... one figure comes to mind for Jock. Check out Pulp Figures, Heroes and Personalities, pack PHP 14... "Buck Johnson, Expedition Guide".
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Vagabond » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 pm

@Midnight
I think I'll go with Network of Supporters.

@Dave
You're right, that's the closest match. With some converting work he may look like Jock after all.
Vagabond

Return to Pulp Alley - Sample Leagues