At Deaths Door when playing Solo

For discussing the Pulp Alley Solo rules and deck....

At Deaths Door when playing Solo

Postby Panama » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi guys I'm playing the at Deaths Door scenario using solo play, in the scenario two of the plot points have a 6 inch area around them that are extremely perilous but don't have another perils when you try the plot point, while the other two are normal plot points that would be as all plots points are a perilous.

The thing is in solo play in solo play all plot points are extremely perilous, how do you guys think would be the bast way to play this ? I just went with once you passed the peril for been within 6" you didn't take another for trying the plot point, which didn't feel right as these two plot points are meant to be more dangerous then the other two.

Death's door is the third scenario in the Perilous Island book btw if you want to look it up & in case I got the name wrong :)
Panama

Re: At Deaths Door when playing Solo

Postby Dimiter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Hey Panama
When I play solo which is all the time I like to let the dice decide everything that my opponent would
otherwise inflict upon me. Initiative i.e. which side draws the solo cards for this round, highest on a d10 takes the cards, perils (non extreme I play perils as you would with a normal fortune deck for both sides) d6 evens peril odds no peril I find I takes a lot of the decision making out of the equation so moving closer to an AI
opponent you can't predict. Sometimes he's nice and sometimes he's nasty :twisted:
Just my thoughts and experience so far...
Peace ;)
Dimiter

Postby rags » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:10 am

If I recall correctly, the two plot points with 6" extra-perilous areas around them are the two guards, who wander around randomly. I would play this just as it is...the areas around the guards can inflict perils on characters who just happen to be nearby, but aren't trying to score the plot points, and this is fine -- they're just randomly moving extremely perilous areas. Once you've passed their peril, then you can go on and try for the plot point -- there's no need to draw another.
As for all perils in Solo games being extreme...that's also fine. There are certain ways in which playing solo is easier than playing versus -- you don't have to suss out what your enemy is up to, and the bots have to follow the rules, so having all perils be extreme is needed to keep the game balanced. When I play solo, I always treat all perils as extreme -- no exceptions.
That's my tuppence.
rags
reports & galleries: http://ragsthetiger.imgur.com/
rags

Postby Dimiter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:17 am

:?: playing solo is easier? I lose playing solo all the time :D
Dimiter

Postby Panama » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 am

Dimiter, at this point I'm just playing following the rules as apart from having great fun trying Perilous Island I'm also interested in seen how well it works solo, as for solo been easy I don't think Rags meant it from a easy to win point of view, either that or he a much better player then you or I am as I get butt kicked as well :lol: :lol:

Rags I played it out just like you said as per the rules, but & I'm been fiddly here it just didn't feel right if you know what I mean, but had great fun anyway so all's good :D
Panama

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Panama wrote:... I just went with once you passed the peril for been within 6" you didn't take another for trying the plot point...

Yes, that looks like the right way to do it.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Pulp Alley - Solo Deck