2nd Edition Discussion

Re: 2nd Edition Discussion

Postby Midnight » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Dave wrote:We are moving forward with our 2nd Edition book.

At this time, we are hoping to have the new book released by March 2018 - for Pulp Alley's five-year anniversary.

As we go, we'll keep you updated. As always, please feel free to share you questions and suggestions. :D

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

:)
Midnight

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:47 pm

Scattered Cover
Some terrain or special scenario rules may reduce the effectiveness of shooting, such as dense foliage, fog, and so on. Whenever you shoot at a target in or on the other side of an area that is identified as scattered cover, the target automatically counts as being in cover.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby pjconnor » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:56 pm

Sounds good, but how is this different from obscured discussed earlier. Do you need both? Or do you combine them into a single rule covering both.
pjconnor

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:19 pm

pjconnor wrote:Sounds good, but how is this different from obscured discussed earlier. Do you need both? Or do you combine them into a single rule covering both.

It is not different. Just a different name. :D
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com

Dave
Site Admin

Postby pjconnor » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:25 pm

In that case I prefer obscured :D
pjconnor

Postby Redmao » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Dave wrote:A list of ideas and suggestions we're playtesting for Pulp Alley 2nd Edition.

It is very important to understand that the things on this list are merely ideas and suggestions. Some may eventually be included in our rules, but many may not...

Expand the cover rules to more clearly include different types of terrain?
Limit multi-combats penalty to a -1d maximum?
Use the term "the Director" to refer to the player who has control of the Initiative?
Reduce Long Range penalty to 18"? Or limit "normal" shooting to 18" maximum?
Define the size of a plot point marker to be no larger than 1" or .75"?
Expand and clarify Bursts?
Remove the Character/League Creation rules from the rulebook?
Add the Solo and Horror rules to rulebook?
Define and clarify holding/controlling and dropping/losing a plot point?
Include rules for "non-player characters" - from Lost World of Lemuria?
Reduce the book dimensions to 5" x 7.5"
Include weapons?
Bursts do not block los unless indicated? Bursts do not last until end of turn unless indicated?
Define "discard" to normally mean 1 card from your hand?
Rename "multiple-combats" penalty?
Rename "Dodge"?
Redefine and add -- "ready" and "unready"?
Clarify - can players view other player's character cards/roster?

Please share your suggestions and let us know what you'd like to see in our 2nd edition rulebook.

As a new player, I would hope to find all the character/league creation rules along the full list of skills and attributes into the main rule book so that my characters would feel complete from the start. I would also include solo rules so that a player could start playing right away.
Horror rules being optional don't have to be in the rule book. I haven't seen the NPC being used that much in the PA videos, so I don't think that they need to be in the rule book either.
I hope to see fantasy and a science-fiction scenario books along the 2nd edition.
Redmao

Postby rags » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Dave wrote:We are moving forward with our 2nd Edition book.
At this time, we are hoping to have the new book released by March 2018 - for Pulp Alley's five-year anniversary.
As we go, we'll keep you updated. As always, please feel free to share you questions and suggestions. :D

I think an update, based on the last five years worth of experience, feedback, and perspective, is entirely reasonable. My only reservation about this would be backwards compatibility -- will the new rule book invalidate previous supplements, like the Gear, Guns, and Vehicles book, or the campaigns? What about the existing Fortune deck? Or, as I hope, will the changes simply provide an updated core rule set to use in those supplements?
I still haven't done Tomb of the Serpent, let alone Lemuria.
Sorry if I'm being paranoid, but I used to play a game called Warhammer Fantasy Battle. :roll:
Last edited by rags on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reports & galleries: http://ragsthetiger.imgur.com/
rags

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 pm

For deciding who gets to play a peril.....

More Than One Opponent? — If you are playing with more than one opponent, the Director always has the first opportunity to play a peril. If the Director cannot or does not play a peril, proceed clockwise around the table until one opponent plays a peril or all opponents decline.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com

Dave
Site Admin

Postby pjconnor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:46 pm

Seems a sensible approach, but it needs to be clearer if it is clockwise starting from the Director or from the player.

Or just say:

Starting with the Director, proceed clockwise around the table until one opponent plays a peril or all opponents decline.

Pat
pjconnor

Postby Panama » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Rags " Sorry if I'm being paranoid, but I used to play a game called Warhammer Fantasy Battle. :roll: "

Anyone that ever has or does play a GW game will understand completely Rags :lol:

I like yourself would hope that PA 2 would still be compatible with the with all the other PA books Rags, if the odd thing here & there changes that's find & in fairness is to be expected I'd guess, in Dave we trust :)
Panama

PreviousNext

Return to PULP ALLEY 2nd EDITION