2nd Edition Discussion

Re: 2nd Edition Discussion

Postby pjconnor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:40 pm

I’ve just spent most of the afternoon here in the rather chilly Scottish Borders trying our Mr Phipps’ new Impaired rule. Well, colour me pink and stick a feather in my hair, it works. I really don’t know why we ever doubt him :D

If you want an impaired character to be at a disadvantage, Dave’s new rule delivers in spades,hearts, diamonds and clubs. It really gives you tough decisions to make, do I give up that Fortune Card to shoot or pass and keep the card in my hand. At first I did find a tendency to hoard cards, but that in itself put me at a disadvantage, because I was holding and not using. I then began to use my Fortune Cards and just hope I had one handy when I needed it, this as it turned out, was a much better tactic.

I wouldn’t want to see it used too often, but when it is, you’re in trouble.

It didn’t work quite as well for solo, there just weren’t enough hold cards on the table. Note to Mr Phipps, we need another solo deck expansion, and a large one :lol: That said, it did sort of work.

To be fair I also tried the version 4 option. Verdict, seriously dislike it. It feels all wrong.
pjconnor

Postby rags » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:09 am

Dave wrote:What is Impaired? For 2nd Edition, I'd like to have a consistent character hindrance/suffering...Let us know what you think.

Consistent suffering is what I went through with Games Whatever. I sincerely hope this is all optional, part of the new Harrowing Escape table or whatever. If it is optional, then I am free to ignore it. If it is mandatory, I will ignore it anyway, and continue to use the old rules, even if I have to play alone. One of my favorite things about Pulp Alley is how player-friendly it is -- how the game never feels like it is punishing you for playing. That is what first attracted me to Pulp Alley, and if it ever loses that quality, it loses a lot of my interest as well. Sorry, but that is what I think.
:cry:
rags
reports & galleries: http://ragsthetiger.imgur.com/
rags

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:25 am

Nearly 5 years ago, Mila and I were getting ready to release our first Pulp Alley book.

We didn't know if another single person would ever play it. And honestly, that didn't matter.

We made Pulp Alley because we love the genre and we wanted to create a game that we actually enjoyed playing.

5 years later, and we still play it nearly every week.

Our focus is always on making Pulp Alley enjoyable, because very few people play it as often as we do -- and we want to have fun. :D

I am so thankful for the ideas and suggestions that folks have shared to help made Pulp Alley a better game than I could ever have done alone.

HAVE FUN
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby pjconnor » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:34 am

Dave wrote:Our focus is always on making Pulp Alley enjoyable, because very few people play it as often as we do -- and we want to have fun.

And what a job you have done. Pulp Alley really captures the feel of the classic pulps, and it is also THE most fun game I've played, and for that I thank you.

Over the years, Pulp Alley has become like an old pair of slippers. We are comfortable with the way things are and worry that with new ideas or changes to familiar rules, it won't be the same. Five years on, there are some things that could be improved or added to make the game even better. After all every supplement has brought something new to the table. I think the future of Pulp Alley is in safe hands.
pjconnor

Postby Midnight » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Yep...I'm definitely happy that I found Pulp Alley when I did. I still love other minis games, just like I will continue to buy countless roleplaying games, loving them all, but Pulp Alley has been the most consistent minis game at my table for a couple years now.

I don't see that changing anytime soon.

:D
Midnight

Postby Panama » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:32 pm

We've been having our say on what we might like or not like for a while now, will PA2 be the dooms day we all fear or be the gift from heaven we all want ? neither would be my guess judging from what Dave has told us, but everything changes with time including us gamer's, for myself I started off as a hard nosed 40K tournament player to say I've changed a bit since then would be an understatement.

Dave has given us a game that he crated for himself to play & watching the video's he either still enjoys playing it or he should move to Hollywood :lol: Dave feels the time has come for an update & unlike a lot of other games developers has asked us the players what we'd like or would not like in the update.

I for one would like to go on record & say thanks Dave for a wonderful game that has given me wonderful times & thanks for at least asking me what I might like or not like changed even if its the complete opposite to what I'd like, Audere-Est-Fadere, I'll save you guys from looking up Google translator it means Dare to do, go for it Dave :D
Panama

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:04 pm

With the addition of the Spoilers, I have noticed a bit of a timing issue with taking the Initiative (Director) ---

1. The rules state that you take the Initiative when you complete a plot point.

2. The spoilers say you don't get the Initiative -- so you basically have to return it to the other player.

I think most players handle this correctly, but it still bugs me.

Anyhoo, I want to change the wording to something like this...

"When one of your characters draws a Reward card, you become the Director."

Note -- This doesn't actually chance much. It simply moves the transfer of Initiative to the moment you draw a Reward - rather than the moment you pass the challenge.

Does anyone see any issues with this?
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com

Dave
Site Admin

Postby pjconnor » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:26 pm

That's effectively just the same. I complete the plot point and draw a card, at that point I become the director (assuming I'm not already the director), but wait! It's a Red Herring, I have to hand it back to the other player.

I know what you mean, but the way it's written the role of director changes on drawing the card, not checking whether or not it's a spoiler card. It needs to be:

When one of your characters draws a Reward card, that is not a Spoiler card, you become the Director.

However, we go from passing a peril to avoid the poisonous barbs cunningly hidden in the gold idol and working out the fiendishly clever combination of pushes to complete the plot point, huzzah! to drawing a card ... meh. Completing a plot point just feels more pulpy than drawing a card.

I know it's slightly longer, by all of 4 words, but what about:

When one of your characters completes a plot point and draws a Reward card, that is not a Spoiler card, you become the Director.

That way a player still seizes the initiative by completing a plot point.
pjconnor

Postby UncleDante » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:25 pm

I really hope this reply is not too late :D

Dave wrote:A list of ideas and suggestions we're playtesting for Pulp Alley 2nd Edition.

It is very important to understand that the things on this list are merely ideas and suggestions. Some may eventually be included in our rules, but many may not...

Expand the cover rules to more clearly include different types of terrain?

Definitely. Having different types of terrain with seperate rules will be good. They are not always perilous zones after all (we usually played them as such)

Limit multi-combats penalty to a -1d maximum?

I believe current penalty is optimal. It helps 3-5 bad guys to take down a character.

Use the term "the Director" to refer to the player who has control of the Initiative?

Seems reasonable.

Define the size of a plot point marker to be no larger than 1" or .75"?

Not a simple question. Sometimes we use terrain pieces as Plot Points. Like vampire coffin, or camp tent. Why not leave 1" size as a basic guideline, so players can decide for themselves? We are not playing "sporthammer" after all :lol:

Expand and clarify Bursts?

Yes. Burst targeting clarification would be nice.

Remove the Character/League Creation rules from the rulebook?

Definitely not. In out local gaming store we are playing by the Leagues book with vehicles. We dont yet have Tomb of the Serpent or Lemuria books.
Knowing a second edition Rulebook coming out I, in fact, have to wonder. Do we need to by these too for the rules (i bet campaigns are great, but we yet have to play our first campaign), or we just wait for the 2nd edition where will be all the previous rules?
In fact it would be nice to see al the rules from expansions added to the next edition of the game.

Add the Solo and Horror rules to rulebook?

Yes, oh please yes!

Define and clarify holding/controlling and dropping/losing a plot point?

I dont see how these can be clarified any further.

Include rules for "non-player characters" - from Lost World of Lemuria?

As said above, it would be awesome to see all the previous rules in one place.

Reduce the book dimensions to 5" x 7.5"

I dunno))

Include weapons?

We were thinking about using optional "Weapon kits".

Bursts do not block los unless indicated? Bursts do not last until end of turn unless indicated?

Different types of Bursts will be good. Smoke bombs, molotovs, grenades and other types.

Define "discard" to normally mean 1 card from your hand?

I see it pretty clear.

Rename "multiple-combats" penalty?

Can call these "Stress". Or did this name come by in some recent Osprey ruleset?

Rename "Dodge"?

No.

Redefine and add -- "ready" and "unready"?

Yes.

Clarify - can players view other player's character cards/roster?

Players should not see other players cards. Only if they have a Fortune card, that say they can.
For the roster, that would be interresting idea. But i'd make this an optional rule, only if both players agree.

Please share your suggestions and let us know what you'd like to see in our 2nd edition rulebook.
UncleDante

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:33 am

THANKS for the feedback! :D
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com

Dave
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to PULP ALLEY 2nd EDITION