Declaring a Run vs a Walk move?

For discussing basic movement, dodge moves, and sneaking....

Declaring a Run vs a Walk move?

Postby piper909 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:42 am

When a character activates, must he declare immediately what form of movement he is taking, normal Walking or Running? And can he change this mode during movement? Or can the character start movement in Run or Walk and then switch to another mode freely, as long as the maximum movement value is not exceeded?

Example 1: a figure decides he will Walk and moves 6", but at the end of the 6" he goes around a corner, say, within line of sight of an enemy -- can he then decide "I'm running!" and move up to another 6" in order to Shoot or Brawl with that enemy? What if he then encounters a perilous area after already moving beyond the 6" Walk maximum? (Where no running allowed.)

Another example: a figure activates in a perilous area, moves (Walk) 2" to leave that area either passing a peril or without encountering a peril -- he was not allowed to Run while in that perilous area, but once leaving it, may he then elect to Run? And if so, would the Run movement reduced by the number of inches already moved in the perilous area?

There are other combinations possible, but these are two that could occur (and have occurred) )most frequently. What is the official ruling?
"Brains beat brawn but baloney baffles brains."
"She looked like a million and stole ten times as much."
piper909

Re: Declaring a Run vs a Walk move?

Postby Dave » Fri May 19, 2017 3:44 am

piper909 wrote:When a character activates, must he declare immediately what form of movement he is taking, normal Walking or Running? And can he change this mode during movement? Or can the character start movement in Run or Walk and then switch to another mode freely, as long as the maximum movement value is not exceeded?

Example 1: a figure decides he will Walk and moves 6", but at the end of the 6" he goes around a corner, say, within line of sight of an enemy -- can he then decide "I'm running!" and move up to another 6" in order to Shoot or Brawl with that enemy? What if he then encounters a perilous area after already moving beyond the 6" Walk maximum? (Where no running allowed.)

Another example: a figure activates in a perilous area, moves (Walk) 2" to leave that area either passing a peril or without encountering a peril -- he was not allowed to Run while in that perilous area, but once leaving it, may he then elect to Run? And if so, would the Run movement reduced by the number of inches already moved in the perilous area?

There are other combinations possible, but these are two that could occur (and have occurred) )most frequently. What is the official ruling?

Whether a character walked or ran is simply determined by the total distance they moved. I do not expect people to "declare" which type of move they are using because it does not matter. If they move up to 6" it counts as walking. If they moved over 6", they ran. During a single activation, it is one or the other - not both.

So lets look at your examples/questions...
"...a figure decides he will Walk and moves 6", but at the end of the 6" he goes around a corner, say, within line of sight of an enemy -- can he then decide "I'm running!" and move up to another 6" in order to Shoot or Brawl with that enemy?"
Yes, a player can change his mind while moving his character. The only thing that matters is how far did the character actually move?

What if he then encounters a perilous area after already moving beyond the 6" Walk maximum? (Where no running allowed.)

Page 16 -- "A running character must immediately stop moving when they come into contact with a perilous area."

Another example: a figure activates in a perilous area, moves (Walk) 2" to leave that area either passing a peril or without encountering a peril -- he was not allowed to Run while in that perilous area, but once leaving it, may he then elect to Run?

No, during a single activation a character can walk or run. It is one or the other - not both. So, if you start off in a perilous area, then you can not move over 6".

THANKS for the questions. I hope this helps! :D

HAVE FUN
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Declaring a Run vs a Walk move?

Postby piper909 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Once again, my thanks! Whew, I've collected, copied, and pasted into a separate Word document over 8 pages of rules errata or clarifications in the last week or so. Much appreciate this, as I come back to PA after a break of over two years and try to internalize all the original mechanisms, expansion material, and resolve questions that have come up as I playtest my convention scenarios with a bunch of new players.
"Brains beat brawn but baloney baffles brains."
"She looked like a million and stole ten times as much."
piper909

Return to Pulp Alley - Movement