Shooting or Brawling the closest enemy

For discussing brawling, shooting, dodging, and health....

Shooting or Brawling the closest enemy

Postby Jinja77 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just want to clarify the rules. We normally discuss it when a situation arises and decide on our interpretation at the time, so it does change from time to time...

Our hero is in the middle of the field (the Green Circle) and there are four enemy units at different ranges (red circle). The grey block is a solid high wall meaning there is no line of site, and the orange star is the major plot point.

Shoot
Am I right in thinking that because the rules state that when shooting you go for the nearest enemy...
I don't have LoS of A therefore I ignore it and have to go at shooting B, C and D are not the nearest so they are ignored? Or could I go for C as it is in a different direction, or have to move closer before firing?
If there was no B, I could ignore C if engaged with an enemy and go direct for D?
Or if my charecter has the Deadeye attribute he can go for anyone.

Brawl
Again for brawling you go for the nearest enemy, but in this scenario would he have to go for A as nearest, or is the LoS still taken into effect and therefore A is ignored?
B is the closest enemy to rush, but as it moves you away from the major plot point he can be ignored and C becomes an option?
And if C was engaged you could go for D?
But if he is brash then he can rush anyone in range?

Thanks for any and all help in advance!
Chris
Jinja77

Re: Shooting or Brawling the closest enemy

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Jinja77 wrote:Shoot
Am I right in thinking that because the rules state that when shooting you go for the nearest enemy...
I don't have LoS of A therefore I ignore it and have to go at shooting B.

Correct

Or could I go for C as it is in a different direction, or have to move closer before firing?

If you wanted to shoot C, then you'd have to move closer to C - so that he was the closest enemy. Note, the "closest" is determined at the moment you shoot.

If there was no B, I could ignore C if engaged with an enemy and go direct for D?

Correct, if an enemy is engaged with a colleague then they may be ignored in favor of the next closest.

if my charecter has the Deadeye attribute he can go for anyone.

Correct, you could shoot at any enemy in LOS.

Brawl
Again for brawling you go for the nearest enemy, but in this scenario would he have to go for A as nearest, or is the LoS still taken into effect and therefore A is ignored?

LOS does not matter when it comes to rushing. So you can remove LOS from the determining factors.

However, "closest" is intended to be determined by the distance it takes to reach the target by the most logically direct path.

In this situation, assuming the drawing is to scale, Green would have to move a little over 9" to reach A -- so B is the closest to rush.

...B is the closest enemy to rush, but as it moves you away from the major plot point he can be ignored and C becomes an option?

100% correct.

And if C was engaged you could go for D?

100% correct.

Note -- Due to the location of the Major Plot Point in this example, A and B can be completely ignored. Rushing either of those will move you further away from the Major Plot Point -- in relation to where you activated.

But if he is brash then he can rush anyone in range?

100% correct.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby pjconnor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 pm

This is one if the best explanations of ‘nearest I have seen, very clear and comprehensive. Thanks Jinja77 for the questions and Dave for the answers.
pjconnor

Postby Jinja77 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Dave,
Thanks for clarifying. I introduced a new player last night and the ‘closest enemy’ rule was questioned.

I think I’ve been playing correctly up until now, but once put on the spot I had to go through the core book and double check everything!

One final thing...if the hero walked towards C and ended the move within the 1” range, would the hero now be engaged but not eligible to brawl on this turn? Basically a loophole and not rush B, but by using another rule be able to walk and brawl an enemy who isn’t the closest?
I would assume the first?

Thanks again,
Chris
Jinja77

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:11 am

Jinja77 wrote:I think I’ve been playing correctly up until now, but once put on the spot I had to go through the core book and double check everything!

One final thing...if the hero walked towards C and ended the move within the 1” range, would the hero now be engaged but not eligible to brawl on this turn? Basically a loophole and not rush B, but by using another rule be able to walk and brawl an enemy who isn’t the closest?
I would assume the first?

Hmm... I'm not sure where the "be engaged but not eligible to brawl" idea is coming from...

1. You cannot move within 1" of an enemy unless you are moving to engage (base-to-base contact with the enemy). So if you are not engaged, you should be over 1" away.
2. Being engaged automatically starts a fight/brawl with the engaged enemy.

Please note that "rush" is not a type of movement. Rushing is the intent/result of any move (Sneak, Walk, Run, whatever). For example, if you move 2" and engage an enemy, then that is "rushing" an enemy - regardless of which type of movement got you there.

In other words, it is impossible to move and engage an enemy without "rushing" - because that is the definition of "rushing".

I hope that helps.

HAVE FUN
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Pulp Alley - Fighting & Health