Swords clubs ect

For discussing brawling, shooting, dodging, and health....

Swords clubs ect

Postby scotthowl » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:02 pm

How are swords handled? is it just a simple brawl? Is the reach for a melee weapon factored in? defending a melee weapon attack when you don't have one.

I haven't seen any rules that can answer these

Thanks

Scott
"I drank what?" - Socrates
scotthowl

Re: Swords clubs ect

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Short Answer -- Yes, it is a simple brawl. Roll your Brawl dice.

Long Answer -- The rules that cover this are...

"A character's combat skills, action skills, and abilities reflect their weapons and equipment they have on them or close at hand. As such, most weapons will not have special rules."

and this one...

"A character's profile, including their combat skills, action skills, and abilities is intended to represent a fully outfitted character - including their assorted equipment and other weapons."

To further clarify, when you create a character the skills and abilities you select should take into account the weapons they carry. So if you wanted a character to be a good swordsman/spearman, then you may want to give him Fierce and so on. By doing this, you are improving that character's combat effectiveness.

In Pulp Alley we are really just concerned with "combat effectiveness". In my opinion, when the weight, length, speed, and other factors are considered - a weapon's true effectiveness in combat is based on the skill of the fighter. For example, one guy might be really good with a whip, but that doesn't mean every character with a whip is going to use it the same way. Even something as basic as a club or sword comes down to who is wielding it.

Because of the way the Pulp Alley mechanic work, and because we focus on overall combat effectiveness, by increasing a character's skill - you are also improving their chance to win fights and increasing the damage they do. :D

But if you really like the idea of having rules for different weapon, this is covered in our Pulp Leagues book (see the optional Weapon Kits rules).

I hope this helps.

HAVE FUN
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com
http://www.pulpalley.com/

"Listen, and listen well! The road before you is beset with many perils!"
Dave
Site Admin

Postby rags » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:09 pm

Dave wrote:But if you really like the idea of having rules for different weapon, this is covered in our Pulp Leagues book (see the optional Weapon Kits rules).

I've been using Weapon Kits a lot in my solo games lately, and find I really enjoy the character customization you get with them. There are rules for all kinds of melee and ranged weapons, so if you like having combat rules that reflect the weapons the mini is actually carrying, the Pulp Leagues book is well worth the coin. Lots of other good stuff in it too, like a new and improved system of benefits that your league earns as it gains reputation, new rules for secret society affiliations, and kit rules for various kinds of character archetypes, like rogues and investigators. Cool stuff.
rags
rags

Postby scotthowl » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:04 am

I do agree about the skill out weighing the weapon. I have always envisioned brawl as just that, either grappling/wrestling or fisticuffs. I see using club/sword/spear as having a little bit of range.

What I have been getting on about is an ability (lets call it Fencing) that lets you "brawl" without being in base contact (say an inch away). Maybe you could substitute Finesse for Brawl. If you came into base contact you couldn't use the Fencing ability, but had to use brawl. (this could be used for other weapons say a whip ;) ) I just came up with this as a am writing you so haven't play tested this...yet. But I look forward to trying it out

E.G : If my musketeer was facing off with Mike Tyson, a strait up contest of brawl wouldn't seem right as Tyson should have a higher brawl and the musketeer should have a higher finesse. Using Fencing for the musketeer it would be more accurate to his combat skill set

I'm not trying to be too complex here, I like the fact that there isn't the minutia of "I have gun x and its better than your gun y, so my gun trumps yours" in Pulp Alley. Just trying to add the right flavor and variety to the charters.

Just a thought
"I drank what?" - Socrates
scotthowl

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Cool ideas, Scott! You may want to playtest some of these ideas and let us know how it goes.

Brawl, as we use the term in Pulp Alley is always intended to represent all melee fighting. In particular, a wild and rough pulp-style fight. :D

For me, if I wanted to show the difference between a boxer and a musketeer, then I would pick abilities that reflect their fighting styles. Maybe a boxer/grappler might go with Brute, Slam, or even Animal. For a musketeer, maybe I'd pick Fierce, Quick-Strike, and so on.

Fighting in Pulp Alley is built on the idea that combat is fluid, and that an enemy is not a straw-man politely waiting to be attacked. In the boxer/musketeer fight, this means when the swordsman moves into range then the boxer reciprocates. So now it becomes a question of who is better at establishing and controlling range, which is reflected in their overall melee combat effectiveness - or as I like to call it "Brawl" skill. It is not about who has what, but simply a matter of who is the better fighter (or who rolls the most successes). :lol:

In Pulp Alley, if you get close enough to fight someone then you can expect them to fight back. This is represented by a rule that says something like "you can not move within 1" of an enemy unless you move into base-to-base contact". As such, Pulp Alley represents "fights" rather than a single sword thrust or punch.

We require the models to be in base-to-base contact to clearly show who is engaged in a fight at a quick glance. In my opinion, this make the game faster and it looks weird when characters that are supposed to be in a melee are placed 1" apart. This does not mean engaged characters are hugging or grappling. In fact, I imagine they may be separated by several feet at times, because that is how fights go.

Moreover, I really like the idea of two-fisted characters wading into gangs of cut-throats with knives, swords, spears, and what-have-you.

Anyhoo, maybe that helps to explain why Pulp Alley was designed this way. :D

I don't know if you've seen the genre specific rules in Pulp Leagues, but you might want to check out the section on Pulp Swashbuckling. It includes some optional kits for Duelists, Rogues, and Pistoliers that you might like.

HAVE FUN
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com

Dave
Site Admin

Postby Whomever1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:35 pm

This is almost completely unrelated, but the discussion of weapons made me wonder why you don't have any reward cards that give a bonus to fighting skills (I'm pretty sure not). It would be easy enough to write the fluff for it ("The weapon you find here is a masterpiece!"). It could be sort of a bonus red herring perhaps, or just something extra along with your normal plot point.
Whomever1

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Whomever1 wrote:This is almost completely unrelated, but the discussion of weapons made me wonder why you don't have any reward cards that give a bonus to fighting skills (I'm pretty sure not). It would be easy enough to write the fluff for it ("The weapon you find here is a masterpiece!"). It could be sort of a bonus red herring perhaps, or just something extra along with your normal plot point.

We have playtested a few Rewards cards like that, and I'm sure we'll get around to making them eventually.
David Phipps, Pulp Alley

dave@pulpalley.com

Dave
Site Admin

Return to Pulp Alley - Fighting & Health